Thursday, November 20, 2014

Wet Sock Treatment

From Dana:

I have been introduced to a new home remedy for tackling a runny nose/congestion (and maybe other things too).  It's called the Wet Sock Treatment.

The jist of it is that you get your feet hot/warm (by taking a bath or soaking them in hot water) and then you immediately put on ice cold, wet, cotton socks, covered by dry wool socks, put on your pajamas, cover up in bed and go to sleep.

The logic behind it, "they" say, is that your body works hard to warm up your feet and it enlivens your immune system somehow.

To say I was skeptical at first would be an understatement.  It sounds downright weird.  But, I thought, what could it hurt?

Marc has been battling a cold for over a week and it was only a matter of time before Cole and I got it too.  Tuesday night I started sniffling and sneezing (after having a little bit of a sore throat the day before).  I decided to try the Wet Sock Method, and it worked!  Or seemed to.  I was able to sleep, which is often half the battle when you have a runny nose, and I woke up relatively good to go.  I had a little congestion and gunk to blow out, and continued to have "episodes" throughout the day but it wasn't lasting.  I repeated the treatment again last night and found myself nearly all better today.  Weird.  I think I'll continue again tonight, for good measure, because "hey, what's the harm?"

My friend that told me about it said it was really good for kids, because there isn't really any medicine you can give them for congestion.  I did it on Cole last night because I thought for sure he'd be next.  He had been coughing some during his naps and sneezing here and there.  I never heard him cough, and he slept through the whole night and woke up good to go.

Tonight will be the test.  He woke up super snotty from his nap and went to bed that way.  But, I haven't heard him cough or really cry out.  He seems like he's sleeping soundly.  I wonder how he'll be in the morning!

Google it: Wet Sock Treatment

I know, I know, add it to the list of weird, earthy, wholistic, granola things Dana does - right after wash her face with oil and her hair with baking soda (which I'm back to using shampoo, sparingly) and making her own pumpkin puree.

4 comments:

  1. Your closing paragraph summed up my musings while reading your post. But if it works, what's the harm? How did it feel putting on the ice cold wet socks on your warm feet? Did they warm up quickly? I'm glad you are feeling better and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling chilled the whole time I read this....glad it worked for you. I will stick to my OJ and potato chip remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?!!! Really it works? You know I am right there with weird "hippie" stuff to try. I HATE being cold though Dana, HATE it. I could put the socks on and take them right back on but leave them on all night? Does it soak through to the wool socks, are you cold? I need to know more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An update: First of all, I am never cold when I do this (except for when I first put the cold socks on and that's just my feet). Immediately when you put the wool socks on you feel better. I think it helps that your feet are already warm. It's not uncomfortable one bit - unless you think too much about how you have wet socks on in bed. Ha!

    Cole woke up last night, congested, after I wrote the post. I suctioned his nose, took off his DRY socks, gave him a new diaper and he fell back asleep until morning. He had a crusty nose all day but not a runny nose. Tonight he woke up about an hour after going down, with a congested nose, and went back down after I suctioned his nose and gave him some TLC.

    So, The Wet Sock Treatment isn't a cure all, but I do feel like he's not as bad as he could be (but how do I really know?), especially during the day.

    Really, I just keep praying for healing and good rest.

    But I feel great! :-)

    ReplyDelete