Friday, November 14, 2014

Brad the Builder

From Brad:

As most of you know, since getting married I've grown to enjoy the hobby of woodworking more and more. I didn't grow up doing much with my hands (I'm pretty sure I passed woods class in 7th grade due to sheer sympathy), but decided that I wanted to try to learn to be better since I was becoming a husband and Kathryn and I would have a home to furnish/keep up with.

In the past months I've made quite a few things. I've made...



  • A coffee table
My first project - a coffee table for our living room
  • Window flower boxes
  • A TV stand
Near-finished TV stand downstairs in my "shop"
Finished product, with my very own Vanna White!
  • Cornhole boards for Anthony's father's day present
Anthony's Corn Hole Boards for Father's Day
  • Planter's boxes for my mom/mother-in-law's mother's day
Mrs. Hanson's flower box for Mother's Day (guest appearance by Shep the dog)
  • Toy chest for Cole's birthday
  • Side table
  • Pallet shelves
  • Hanging shelf for above our downstairs bathroom
I've definitely had some projects that I wish I could do over again (I'm looking at you, Cole's toy chest that is intended for a toddler but has screws sticking out of it), and others that I'm pretty proud of. I've really grown to love it, and I'm planning on even making my dad something nice for his birthday/Christmas (hint: it's a shelf you put books on). I'm excited for the day when Julie and/or Dana has triplets and I can build them one of these:



Anyway, Monday night marked the official time to go ahead and "move south for the winter", aka move the shop that I had set up in my garage down into my basement. I decided to go ahead and deep clean my work area down there before moving everything back down, and now I have a well-organized and clean work space!




Anyone want me to build them something, or have an idea of something that'd be cool to build? Better yet, anyone want to build something with me?




Love you all,

Brad <><


2 comments:

  1. You jumped into this hobby full speed ahead. You chose some challenging projects and finished them well! Enjoy all those future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I never responded to this post! I loved it! Loved it!! I love the title. Ha! Reminds me of little boy you. I can't believe you can do all this stuff and that you do do all this stuff and find time to do it. I'm so impressed that you've just taught yourself. I laugh out loud every time I read your comment about Cole's toy chest. It won't be anything to file off those screws, but we haven't done it yet. I'm just so grateful that you made him something to sturdy and lasting and personal! Way to go, Braddy!

    ReplyDelete