Friday, November 7, 2014

Small House Project

From Dana:
 
My Monday night Sublette girls Bible study has been going through a book called the Respect Dare - 40 days to a deeper connection with God and your Husband.  It's modeled after the Love Dare book, made popular by that movie Fireproof.  It has 40 dares you work through with a verse, a real-life story, questions to answer regarding the topic, and then a dare to do to try to practice the concept.
 
It's been a really good study for me.  I've seen a lot of areas that I can work on.  I've been a little discouraged lately, because I keep messing up and regressing, but I think overall I am making progress.  I wonder if Marc does?!?  Ha!
 
Well, one of the dares was about organization.  "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." The dare for that day was to pick a spot in your home that needed organized, make a detailed task list, and then do one item per day. I chose Cole's room.  It had been bugging me for months!  It was hard to take care of because it's a job I'd like to do while he's asleep, so I kept putting it off.
 
I made my list and got started when Cole woke up from his nap that day by tackling the ceiling fan while he was still in his crib.  It took me all of 4 minutes, I bet, but had been needing to be done for a long time!  I cleaned out the cube shelves below and gave a lot of stuff away to my friends with younger babies and then to Good Will.  I even kept some shelves empty, just because I could.
 

I moved the rocker that was in front of the cubes and closet and virtually in the middle of the room, to the other side of the room in front of the window and moved some totes downstairs.  I made space in the bookshelf for books instead of in an overflowing basket or two on the floor by the chair.
 

I cleaned off the desk and pulled out all the stuff I had stuffed under there in an effort to store things SOMEWHERE when Cole was born.  Now you can actually push the chair under the desk!
 

I did about half of this with Cole toddling around and then asked Shirley to watch him for an hour or so while I finished.  I was SO relieved to have it done.  So relieved.  It just felt like a huge weight off.  Every time I entered the room, I just felt so much peace, like I could exhale.

Ahhhh!

Glad for the challenge from the study.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed, some days I wish I could just go in and clean up the office. I don't have a lot of motivation and I don't have a toddler in my way. The room looks good. It will be nice when you can move the office downstairs and it is all Cole's room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your comment about cleaning the fan in 4 minutes. Sometimes I put off doing things because I think it'll take too long. It rarely does. But I still put it off.

    You took on the challenge and conquered! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete