Monday, September 29, 2014

New Job

In order to meet the quota of non-Ellis/Puryear/Voth posts, I figured I'd write a few sentences about my new job.

1) I have my own office with a door and everything. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a window. My firm moved to a new office space a year and a half ago, and brand new associates lost their window offices in the move. I'll have to wait 2 years before I "move up."  It's good a reminder that I'm not a big deal. 

2) I have my own secretary - Barbara Bridger.  She's probably 60 years old, and I share her with 2 other attorneys.  So far, I've wooed her with bags of Hershey's assorted minis and took her to lunch downtown at Roaring Fork.  She loves action movies and went skydiving last year.  I'm hoping that I never lose the desire that I have right now to make Barb feel valued.

3) Today, we turned two "motions" that I wrote into the federal court in Austin. I'm surprised they gave me so much responsibility so soon.  There have been many days these first few weeks I have thought, "I have no idea what I'm doing." I'm sure there will be many more.  But today was a fun day, seeing real work that I did actually get filed.  Of course, there was a lot of editing by other people, but that's only because "I have no idea what I'm doing!"

4) I have two pictures in my office. One is the picture my family gave me (and Cory designed) with all of the jobs I've had and schools I've attended so far in my life.  It's a good reminder that Jesus has so masterfully guided me, even when I felt I was lost.  It's also a great conversation piece.  Most of the people that come into my office comment on it.  The conversation usually ends with them saying, "Your family must really love you." I'm pretty lucky.

The other picture is a painting of the Bible verse that I want to be the theme of my career: Matthew 20:25-28.  It says, "But Jesus called them to Himself and said, 'You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.'"  I love that last part - Jesus didn't come to be served but to serve and to give His life for others.  Hopefully my new career can ultimately be committed to that purpose.

5) Tomorrow I get my first paycheck.  It's the first income I've had since getting some student loan money back in the spring, and it is desperately needed.  It will also be for 3 weeks instead of two, so...jackpot!

I love you guys.

Joel

1 comment:

  1. Love to hear about your job! Sounds like you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete