Saturday, September 27, 2014

Monarchs

From Dana:
 
Sublette has been FLOODED with monarch butterflies this week as they make their trek south!  FLOODED!
 
Does this happen in Kansas City?  I have a vague memory of my 8th grade science teacher having a monarch butterfly garden at our school and tagging them somehow or something, but I never remember seeing them come through.  Though, I DO spend a whole lot more time outside these days than I ever did when I lived in Olathe, I think, so it makes sense I'd notice them here.
 
Yesterday Cole and I took the trash out to the dumpster and the monarchs were swarming all over.  It was a beautiful sight.
 
I know you can't tell in the this picture, but our locust tree was chalked full of butterflies.  I got the impression they were holding on for dear life in our Southwest Kansas wind!
 


1 comment:

  1. We aren't seeing the big flight of butterflies this year. I have a friend that tags them. I should send her your way. You are probably in the migration path. Here is an article I found about Kansas. http://www.kansas.com/news/article1133321.html

    ReplyDelete