Saturday, February 8, 2014

From Dana:

1.  Today I got a special morning away with some girlfriends.  I left Cole at home with Marc and met Tiffany and Michelle down in Liberal for breakfast at the Pancake House (delicious and relaxing) and then we went to Spa-Lon for massages.  It was my first massage and it was a great experience.  Michelle and Travis gave it to me for my birthday as a thank you for helping with their kids.  What a nice surpise.  I left feeling so relaxed!

2.  I got a phone call this week from a woman wanting to start an adoption suport group.  She got my name from a mutual friend.  Her and her husband have adopted a 10 year old boy from Belarus.  They have just moved to Liberal from Gardner and wanted to try to recreate what they experienced in Kansas City with an adoption support group.  We made tentative plans for our families to get together later this month.  I LOVE the idea of getting to talk to other adoptive parents, and I felt so cared for that she took the initiative with me.  So often I am on the initiating end.  We'll see how this all pans out!

3.  While Marc was gone this past week to Wichita for meetings, some of my girlfriends from my Sublette Bible study got together to learn how to make noodles (like chicken and noodles) from Whitney.  She makes them all the time and has always made it sound easy.  Leigh, Whitney, and I gathered at Jonae's house and all brought our own ingredients for the dough.  The result:  noodles!  My evaluation:  Not that hard but not easy either, a little time/labor intensive but totally do-able if you love chicken and noodles.  Do I like chicken and noodles?  The jury's still out.  It was my first time having it (unless we had it at the mid-week meal at church growing up, because it seemed kind of familiar), and I had a hard time getting over all the beige food on my plate with no color.  Because what chicken and noodle dinner wouldn't be complete without being served over mashed potatoes and sopped up with a buttered dinner roll?  Can you say carb overload?  Sheesh! 

Whitney rolling out her dough with her daughter Davney helping.  Don't mind Cole in Lilli's pink walker chewing on his vibrating corn.  He ended up in the Ergo while I cut the noodles.  That kid's all over the place if left on the floor!

 
4. We have taken possession of the rental house!  This past Saturday we (I say that loosely, because it has been Marc, Michael, Al, and Shirley that have been working, and I've been home with Cole...and sometimes Chelsea) cleaned out all the junk by noon, took multple loads to the dump and to the dumpsters, and got started "fixing it up" that afternoon.  Michael, the carpenter by trade, has been working on fixing/updating the plumbing/hot water heater/fixing the floors that were rotted, Shirley has been cleaning and painting painting painting, and Marc joined them Thursday and started painting and installing light fixtures, among other things.  They are all really encouraged and excited.  My contribution to it all has been lunch.  With Shirley's help, I have been providing lunch at my house.  Guess what we had Friday?  Chicken and noodles!  It was a hit! 


1 comment:

  1. Your "beige food" comment made me chuckle. I think I've made noodles twice in my life - once with a friend at her house while I was in high school and once since I've been married. I had the same reaction as you - is it worth the time? In my opinion, no, not when you can buy Reames noodles, found in a grocer's freezer section.

    Can't wait to see pictures from the Voth Properties rental house!

    ReplyDelete