Saturday, February 22, 2014

Curried Ham

In the fall our ladies Bible study did a study on the Home.  The study had some great concepts that I took to heart and then had a lot of practical resources in the back of the book.  One of the sections was full of recipes that were fancy but easy.  I found one for Curried Ham that I had all of the ingredients for, and thought I'd give it a shot.  The only hold up?  The recipe made enough to serve 24 people!  Now, I know that I could have just halfed or quartered the recipe and that would've been totally fine, but I had an idea!
 
I decided to contact all of my Bible study friends and tell them I was making the dish and when it was going to be ready and told them they were more than willing to come by and pick it up for dinner for them and their families.  This accomplished lots of things:  I got to try the recipe, I got to use up the ham I had in the freezer, I got to serve the ladies and provide them with dinner, and I got to have them all over to my house...but not for a long time (because, where would they all sit...or stand, for that matter?).
 
I didn't know how they would respond.  I knew it was kind of a weird idea and really a strange, non-kid-friendly recipe, but they ate it up (no pun intended)!  They ALL came over and got their curried ham and rice and some of the toppings and couldn't stop talking about how nice it was to not have to worry about dinner that night.  And, we had fun visiting and seeing each other outside of Bible study.  I think whenever you can have interactions with people outside of where you initially know them,  your bond deepens.
 
The list of ladies coming to get Curried Ham and how many servings they would each need.


The huge pot I cooked in.  It was a bit overkill, but I think our regular pot would've been filled to the brim!


Curried Ham.  Has anyone ever heard of this?


The suggested toppings.  The toppings "made" the recipe.
All in all, it was such a good experience.  I loved it.  This kind of stuff is right up my alley.  I kind of suspect this works because we live in a small town and are within two minutes of each other, so driving over to pick up supper at 5:00 is possible on short notice.  I'm not sure why it works, but I'm glad it does!


1 comment:

  1. Dana that is such a neat idea! I love that you thought of others and were so quick to serve them. I can only imagine how blessed I would have been by this!

    ReplyDelete