Friday, April 11, 2014

HOSTESS FAILURE!

As in the past, a Model United Nations team of Chinese students arrived on the JCCC campus on Tuesday of this week. Dave brought home two females to stay with us for two nights. This was not as long a stay as the Chinese groups we've had in the past.  We really enjoyed Nova, an English major, and Donna, a Computer Science major.  Fun having them.

I always have such a difficult time deciding what to fix while they are here. I never took notes on the past menus and can't remember what we served from year to year.  In the past, I would ask Dave for help. His answer was either "I don't know" or "What have we served before?". So this year I decided to do it on my own 

The first night I chose to make Beef Stroganoff. After talking to Dana, I decided to serve it on noodles rather than rice, my preferred stroganoff pairing. I thought the beef would be similar to their beef and they could sample American noodles. Cole slaw was also served. The meal was a hit! They loved it, had seconds and praised my cooking skills. 

For the second night I decided to make Hamburger Enchilada casserole. I figured I'd give the girls a taste of some of our favorite food — Mexican. I hadn't made it in awhile. It was a recipe we served pastor candidates, the search committee members and spouses when Dave was on 1st Pres pastor search committee. I remember it being great. It made a large 9 x 13 pan. 
It all went together well. 

As it baked, Dave and the girls came home. One of our girls participated in a leadership camp at her university last summer . Her counselor was an American from Colorado Springs. He and his wife drove to Johnson County to see her!!  (which is a whole story in itself.)  Well, I said invite them to dinner. We have more than enough!  Dave served us all a medium portion at the beginning of our meal.  It was soggy and mushy!  I was so disappointed and somewhat embarrassed.  No one, not Dave, not our Colorado visitors, not me or the girls, NO ONE asked for seconds!?!  The casserole was like, as Brad would say, the "elephant in the room" that no one wanted to talk about.  No one, again I mean NO ONE, complimented me on my wonderful meal. To make it worse, when we met the Colorado people prior to the meal, the woman told me Mexican was her favorite type of food. That elephant grew larger second by second!  

Also prior to the meal, I mentioned that the next night we'd like to take them to eat barbecue.  They WERE in Kansas City, after all!   The girls weren't interested in that idea.  They wanted to eat my cooking again.  But I was just looking for a night out of the kitchen.  After the meal, there was no more talk of eating at our house the following day.  :-)  I will for sure remember what NOT to serve in future years.

Enjoying Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe - Donna, Nova, me, Kelly and Kirk

Dave, Donna, me and Nova outside Oklahoma Joe's, Olathe, KS

The meal's saving grace(s) were the carrot sticks and the tortilla chips and dip.  I tried a new layered dip recipe called "Tex-Mex Dip" and it was delicious.  Give it a try!

3 medium ripe avocados
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup dairy sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1.25 oz. package taco seasoning mix
2 - 10.5 oz cans bean dip, plain or jalapeno flavored
1 large bunch green onions, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 - 3.5 oz. cans pitted ripe olives, chopped (we chose not to include these)
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Large, round tortilla chips

Peel, pit and mash avocados in bowl with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Combine sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning mix in bowl. Spread bean dip on a large shallow serving platter. Top with seasoned avocado mix and then sour cream-mayonnaise mixture.  Sprinkle with onions, tomatoes and olives. Cover with cheese. Serve chilled or at room temperature with tortilla chips. Serves 8-10 as an hors d'oeuvres.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no mom!! I'm so sorry. But maybe the Chinese girls just thought it was a cultural thing and they didn't enjoy it because of that? Bummer! I wonder how it went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom!! I hate this for you. This is totally something I would do. Ugh. The dip sounds delicious! I'm always happy for recipe recommendations!

    ReplyDelete