Thursday, April 3, 2014

Few Things

1. I have been trying to be proactive instead of reactive the last week or two. This has led me to wake up before Cole to get my breakfast, tea, time with God, feed General, etc. I'm trying to not react and do all that after he wakes up and then get frustrated that's it not going smoothly. Also, I've been proactively trying to baby proof our house--closing doors, putting up the baby gate, putting stuff out of reach--instead of constantly reacting when he gets into stuff. I have a few other things I'm doing too. I like it. 

2.  Marc and I just finished Dave Ramsey's most recent financial study with our small group. It was pretty good. Gave us some things to think about. We are looking for a new study, if you have any recommendations!

3. This week I've gotten to enjoy the community of girls I have here. Sunday, I took Cole with me to Jonae's to give Marc a quiet house to rest in and us a fun outing and helped her fold her laundry. Monday, I took a few hours to go over to Tiffany's to help with her "to do" list since she recently had a baby (dishwasher, trash, fixed lunch, laundry, etc). That night we had a family Bible study bbq and it was busy and chaotic, but I was so blessed by all the help I got with Cole and Tiffany's kids I brought with me. Tuesday, I was making Mom's crustless quiche for dinner and the recipe makes two, so I gave one to Whitney. Wednesday, I watched Whitney's kids in the morning, and then she brought us lunch when she got back. We got to eat a picnic at the park. Jonae dropped her kids off to play with us to give her some rest because she wasn't feeling well. 

I'm loving living in community with these girls. I find myself coming alive as I look for ways to serve them (funny how I've changed, since Norma reminds me how lazy/conniving I used to be in high school, trying to get everyone else to do things for me "oh, while you're up..."). I think one reason this is working is because we know each other well enough, are acquainted enough with what's going on in each other's lives that we can even know what to offer to help. This is a fun and special season in my life.

4. The rental house is practically done! All that is left is the outside and the guy to come to put in central heat/air. Now, what to charge for rent?

5. Tonight we had our Sunday school teachers up from Liberal for dinner--Randy and Rita. They are getting ready to move to Arkansas. We will miss them. They are our parents' age and we are their kids' age, who live far away. We've kind of been family to each other at some times. It was good to talk with them tonight. 

6. This weekend I am co-hosting a baby shower for my friend Meghann due the first of June. Luckily, my co host is Penterest-y, so we have lots of cute ideas. The theme is birds, like their nursery. She has a tree painted in the corner of her nursery, like Elsy's old room. I've taken some ideas from Julie for the shower. We are having a popcorn bar, since that's one of Meghan's favorite foods (and birds like it too).

2 comments:

  1. DANA!!! What a fun post. You are so good to realized the being proactive part. Oh how long it took me to realize that getting up early before the kids and having time to get myself ready is HUGE!!! Of course I still fail, but love it when it happens. Then I just love all that you are doing with/for the girls. What a blessing you are to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this is when I realized I want to be more like you. But do I want to do the work, make the changes, it would take to get me there? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete