Sunday, December 15, 2013

Cole's Singing Debut

We dropped Cole off in the nursery and walked into church.  We were early to get a good seat up front to be sure to capture Cole's singing debut at church.  Before church began, I was summoned back to the nursery to a wailing baby Cole.  They had tried everything...diaper change, bottle, comforting...but he wasn't having any of it.  And, they were about to go on stage!  They knew this was so unlike him, that they came and got me, which I was so grateful for.

I quieted him down, fed him a little of his bottle, and walked confidently on stage with the rest of the kids and ladies holding babies.  We were bombarded with photos and videos while the kids sang "Joy to the World" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas".  At the pause before the final refrain, "We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year..." Cole started screaming!  It was his "I'm scared or uncomfortable" scream that I knew wouldn't last.  I quickly reacted by pretending I didn't hear the baby in my arms wailing and belting out the song myself and we both got a hearty laugh from the congregation.  Cole didn't cry long and was fine by the end of the song.  We were glad we didn't start the whole line of babies crying (though the little boy next to us was close).

Later, Marc said we stole the show and told Cole that his mama saved the day.  Definitely a memorable singing debut!  You'll have to ask Marc to see the video footage next time you see him.  It's pretty cute.

(After the program, I stayed in the nursery to help Cole fall asleep.  He had only slept about 10 minutes on our way down to Liberal.  Probably what the problem was earlier.  Tonight, he came down with a barky cough and some congestion.  Ugh.  Up to now, we had managed to avoid the winter sickness.  I guess it's our turn.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish we could have been there to witness our daughter's and grandson's performance. I will definitely ask Marc to see his video. Can it be added to this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that video needs to be added :). You guys are such great parents. I am all teared up just reading about it. What a lucky little guy!

    ReplyDelete