Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fondue with Chicken Broth

I, Georgann, wanted to use some meat and veggies leftover from our fondue dinner last week. (Dave and I "fondued" with Lois, Dana, Marc, Brad AND introduced fondue to Kathryn. So much fun!!) Usually I make stir-fry with the leftovers but tonight I decided to do something I've been meaning to try for a while:  fondue using chicken broth instead of oil.

I had a bit of store-bought chicken broth left from another recipe and added to it broth made from chicken bouillon cubes.

Here's my take on the experience. I liked it! A lot. The broth heated to boiling very quickly and I didn't have to worry about it getting too hot to the point of catching fire. The chicken and steak cooked up nicely and stayed very moist.  It didn't fry to a crisp in a matter of moments.  We had mushrooms and onions. I wondered if they would take longer to cook. My worries were unfounded. The onions were delightfully tender crisp. This method seemed to enhance the true flavor of the mushrooms.  The food didn't seem to stay as HOT as the oil method. No burned mouths tonight. Clean up was so much easier, too.  No oily mess. Our house doesn't smell like fried food!

One negative:  I don't believe beer batter could be used with the chicken broth method.  And my family would miss that!

All in all, it's a great, cheap, healthy alternative to oil fondue!  Delish!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to know that fondue is good with chicken broth. I'd love to try it! Maybe sometime we could have one pot with oil and the other with broth. I LOVED having fondue at your house. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try Marc's tactic and try putting beer bread in the broth?

    ReplyDelete