Saturday, May 17, 2014

County Fair Recruiting


My first summer in sublette, I got recruited to join my friend Michelle at the Haskell county fair as a fine art superintendent. Seeing as though I was new and up for anything to get me into the community, I jumped at the chance. It was my first fair experience, and I loved it! One thing I learned was that normal, ordinary people can enter things in the fair (and so many people WEREN'T doing it). So, I pledged to put aside my previous intimidation and enter SOMETHING the following year. I did, and had some great success - enough to make me want to continue doing it. (I think that was the year the leeks from my garden won overall grand champion in the gardening division.)

I have continued to work the fine art division every year since. My responsibilities include receiving people's artwork that they enter, putting it on display, and then being there with the judge to put the various ribbons on each piece. 

Over the (six) years, I have seen a drastic decrease in the amount of entries in the fair - in all categories. Last year, I was in charge of the Nitelites meeting in July and did a program on entering stuff in the fair and had someone come talk to us about how to have an award winning flower entry. A few of the ladies entered some things because of it, I think. 

I have thought, the last few years, as I sit at the fine art table, "where are all the high school art students?" Their art is mounted and ready to be displayed. Why aren't they bringing it. And every year, I think, next year, at the end of school, I will go to the art classes and tell them, encourage them to bring their art to the fair, but I never had. Until this year...

I happened to see the sublette art teacher in the grocery store and got up the nerve to mention it to her. She was delighted that I wanted to! I guess she tells them every year but thought they might take it better from an outside person. So, that's what I did. I went to the high school art classes this past week and gave a presentation on entering their art in the fair. My loudest point - you take home money for each ribbon you get!!

It was well received, but we'll see if any of them follow through. 

My self-imposed mission: to keep our county fair alive. Who'd a thought?


2 comments:

  1. Dana's proud mommaMay 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM

    Dana, you are PERFECT for this! You looked the part. I know you prepared well and presented well. Great tactic telling them there was money involved. When is the fair? We'd like to see the fruits of your labor (the kids' artwork!)

    ReplyDelete