Saturday, May 3, 2014

Painting the Basement



Marc and I spent our Saturday painting the basement.  Michael came in last week and mud and taped the drywall and sanded and textured it, as one of his first jobs for his new business "Voth Carpentry".  So, we were ready for paint!  We loaded Cole up and went to Garden City last night to buy the paint--bright white for the ceiling and dark gray for the walls.  (We got to meet up with Michael and Chelsea for dinner while we were there!)

We got two coats of paint on the ceiling during Cole's morning nap and got one coat of paint on the walls during his afternoon nap.  Pretty good!  Thanks, Cole.

I was surprised how fast it went on.  I was prepared for it to be an entire week's project.  It helps that we didn't have to tape anything off, didn't have to worry about getting paint on the floor or trim, etc.  That's my kind of painting!

I was struck today at how good of a worker Marc is in the sense that he does things well and does things right.  We could've maybe gotten by with just one coat on the ceiling, but it was a bit questionable, so we did two on his advice and are so glad we did.  We split the wall painting--he did the top and I finished the bottom--pretty good teamwork.

We both really like the color, but it is dark.  We wanted to make a bit of a statement, instead of just going with a neutral gray--and I think we did.

Buying supplies Friday night and working on a home improvement project on a Saturday with my husband made me feel like a real-life, do-it-yourself-er!

Wanna come visit and see it? (In related news:  I got a call from Brad tonight to say that Kathryn and he are going to come visit next weekend with Mom and Dad!  Wahoo!)


 



2 comments:

  1. I am impressed that looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc's mom-in-lawMay 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

    I want to come, and am coming, to visit! Too bad I can't help you paint. Haha. I can't wait to see this newly painted room -- or should I say, newly painted roomS? Marc has always impressed me, too, as one that does a project right. He's a good one to have on your team! Especially when he'll do the upper half of the walls. That saves moving a ladder and going up and down on it, over and over again.

    ReplyDelete