Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Norma's big project

I started working on the wallpaper in the half bath off the kitchen early to mid April. I have thought about taking that wallpaper off for years. The first time I tried to remove the original paper it didn't come off easily so I gave up and put a different type of paper over it. So through the years even though I didn't like the look of the current wallpaper I just didn't have the will to tackle it.

I did some research online and found a few videos talking about how to get wallpaper off when it was applied directly to sheet rock. That was the case with the first wallpaper. The instructions were to use warm, soapy water in a spray bottle and soak the wallpaper and then remove it with a putty knife. One day I was off work unexpectedly due to a slow schedule so I decided to start on it. The process was very, very slow but I decided to set my expectations right and I'd get it done little by little. I should confess that the first day or two I kept thinking of some choice words I'd say to whoever put the paper on in the first place.

This is the picture I took when my coworker texted me to say have a good day off. I told her that I was picking wallpaper off a little piece at a time.  

So I worked on the walls a few days a week, a few hours at a time for several weeks. It was tedious but the walls looked okay as I went along. Until I got to the sink area and then the walls weren't in such good shape. It looked like they had glued a vanity in there and then removed it. It took me a total of 25 to 30 hours to get all the paper off.

Ladell helped with getting the sheet rock smooth again around the sink area by applying sheet rock mud and then sanding it. There was a little delay once it became his turn to work on it. But when Mother's Day weekend came he got busy and worked hard on it for me.

I planned to paint it a green color and Abby (who has great influence over me) suggested I have enough green in my house. I decided that she was right and started to brain storm other colors. I've always liked the plum color when I've seen it in rooms in magazines. So that's what I went with. Ladell helped me paint this past Saturday. We also bought a new light fixture, toilet paper holder and towel ring.  I am so relieved to have the project done! As far as my attitude toward projects goes I want to start one today and be done tomorrow so this was a test of my endurance. I'm happy with how it turned out.







 

5 comments:

  1. This looks great, thanks for sharing! Party at your house to celebrate all the home improvements going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norma! I love this! You are such a good writer. What tedious work. I love getting projects done, though we aren't very good at that. It seems like we always tend to leave something undone. I can't wait to see it. The plum color is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that old striped wallpaper...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Norma! Way to persevere!! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 25 to 30 hours??!! Wow!! Good job Norma!!!

    ReplyDelete