Saturday, May 3, 2014

Kentucky Derby

My friend, Susan, has a Kentucky Derby watch party every year.  You are expected to "get in touch with your inner southern belle" and come dressed complete with hat and heels.  Pretty fun!  I thought of Nicole and Kyle a number of times, since they got to go to the Derby a few years ago and got dressed to the nines.
 
At the beginning of the party we each draw the name of a horse to root for during the race.  If yours wins, you get a prize.  I wasn't the winner.
 
She had all sorts of southern food--grits with shrimp, bourbon/pecan pie, mint juleps, etc.  I guess there's an entire Kentucky Derby recipe website. 
 
Oh, the culture in southwest Kansas...
 
(Marc had Cole while I was gone, and they did awesome!  Cole met me at the door with some of the biggest smiles I've seen.  He loves spending time with his daddy!)
 



2 comments:

  1. How fun! Did you all come with your own hats or did Susan supply them? I happened to tune into the Derby yesterday just before the actual race - which lasted all of 10 minutes if you're lucky. Saw California Chrome win it. That was about all I wanted to see. How long were you at the watch party? I know the TV coverage went from 3:00ish to 6:30ish -- all for a quick, short race. Is Susan from Kentucky? She did a great job on menu selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea!! Maybe I'll host a Kentucky Derby party next year. Wanna come?!

    ReplyDelete