Monday, December 15, 2014

Buffet table

from Kathryn:

   So at the beginning of this semester, our KLIFE board president offered me a buffet table that her friend didn't want or need anymore. Since I can rarely say no to free things, I accepted the table. I decided to try my hand at re-painting and distressing furniture. That's all the rage these days and there are so many DIY tutorials on Pinterest that I had seen before I figured it couldn't be that hard.

  After deciding what color to paint it and buying all of the supplies, I went to work. After doing lots of sanding, stripping the finish, priming, staining, sanding again, and finally sealing the whole thing, it's finished! It only took me a couple of months to complete.....I get distracted easily and bogged down by big projects.
  
  There were a couple of set backs along the way too. I think one problem I had was I used old sealer. When I did that, it left a yellow-y tint to the piece that I didn't see until it had completely dried. I was upset about it at first and I still don't love it, but I guess it adds a little bit to the antique look and I'm too lazy apparently to fix it. Another issue I had is according to the blog that I was following I was supposed to sand the top in between the two coats of sealer. Well, something went wrong along the way and I still don't really know how it messed up. It basically ruined the top! So I had to re-sand the entire top again (which took a while) and then sealed it one more time to finish it.

  My conclusion- it's fun to say I've done it once but I don't think re-purposing furniture is going to become a new hobby of mine. You can be the judge, here is a before and after pic. What do you think?

The original
The finished product! (please ignore that I haven't added the handle to the right door yet)

3 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job! You and your husband could start a business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Kathryn, especially for your first project of this kind. The top looks beautiful. It's a nice piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am so impressed! I am totally intimidated by things like this - projects involving paint freak me out. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete