Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Haskell County Fair

This week is the Haskell County Fair - one of my favorite weeks of the summer! I just love being out in the community and seeing the community come together for all the fun activities. 

Last night Cole and I went to watch the little kids "mutton bustin". We got up real close to the arena and Cole got a first hand look at the sheep. He was mesmerized and a little scared when they got close. But the whole way home he kept saying "baa, baa, baa". Funny!


(I guess these sheep were really tall/big for mutton bustin. It was the talk of all who knew better.)

I entered an apple pie in the $100 contest and about 6-7 flower entries. I love having things to enter, even though it's nerve wracking. 



My flowers all got 1st place blue ribbons but no grand prizes. And, my pie didn't win. Shucks. There's always next year...

This afternoon I went to the high school to help roll over 1000 burritos for nitelites. We sell them at the rodeo. It's one of my favorite things we do. It's a time to talk and work on a project together to complete a task. Today I got to ask advice from a real estate mogul about rentals and learned that one of the ladies had a miscarriage between her 2 children and that she had expected a lot bigger family...among other things. 

And then, to top off the day, marc stayed with Cole tonight and I got to go to the rodeo! Love it!

Full and fun two days!



3 comments:

  1. I can't believe your pie didn't win!! I think they are winner, I guess it is for the adventure of competition. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few thoughts...

    1) The fact that you stuck with the phrase "mutton bustin" and never added the extra "g" to the end was very respectable.

    2) Cole's without a doubt the cutest nephew of all-time.

    3) Your pie didn't win because they didn't want to elicit the attitude of "I'm not going to even enter this year, we all know Marc Voth's wife always wins!"

    4) I know this isn't the true meaning of the group, but every time I hear 'NiteLites' all I can think of are adult diapers.

    5) I love and miss you! And I wish I could go to the rodeo alongside of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love Brad's comments!

    Secondly, I love the way you love fair week and all the community activities.

    You didn't mention the art entries and if your school year announcement at the high school made any difference in the number of entries. You are making a difference in Haskell County!

    ReplyDelete