Saturday, August 8, 2015

Haskell County Fair

This was SUCH a fun year at the Fair.  Cole was the perfect age to take it all in and enjoy the festivities.

On Tuesday morning I continued with my annual responsibility of Fair Superintendent for the Fine Art section of the Open Class fair entries.  Basically, I check in all the art entries as people bring them, hang them up to be displayed, stay with the judge as she evaluates them, and then put the appropriate ribbons on the pieces when she's finished.  I love it.  I love being there and being a part of the fair and talking to the people and seeing different people come in and seeing what they bring.  It's a highlight for me every year.

Shirley watched Cole while I did this and was able to take him to the Fun Day activities put on by the Rec Center.


He got a snake painted on his arm and won a prize at the ring toss.


I entered maybe 7-10 flower entries and one chocolate zucchini cake.  My cake didn't win any of the top prizes, but my flowers did well.  I even got a few purple ribbons for best or second best in their respective divisions.  I was happy with that.  I think it's so fun to participate, and I came home $28 richer at the end of the week! (Maybe I owe some of this to Cindy and Charlotte since they are the source for most of my flowers!)


Tuesday night was a free hamburger feed and mutton bustin'.  Cole loved seeing the sheep up close and personal and seeing his friends.  Here he is with Trigger.


I had no intention of encouraging him to participate, and he didn't seem interested in riding the sheep himself, thankfully.  But there were kids his age or smaller taking their turn!  Maybe next year!  Wanna come watch?

Wednesday morning the 4-Hers showed up with their animals.  They were so happy to show them off to Cole.  Here Brecken is introducing Cole to his pig, Berky.


Cole loved walking through the stalls and seeing all the animals.





This little girl was more than happy to oblige Cole when he would ask to pet her rabbits she had entered in the fair.  Her and her siblings must've had over 20 rabbits entered!


We found some kids and sand toys to play with one morning.  These kids were keeping themselves occupied while their older siblings were getting their cows (or I should say, steers and calves and heifers) ready for the fair.  Cole loved it! 




I am so grateful for how easy it is to participate in things like this in a small town.  I LOVE IT!  And I'm glad Cole does too.  I'm excited for him to grow up going to the fair and looking forward to it each year like I do.

2 comments:

  1. This is so so cool. Cole is learning so much and having fun doing it. YES! I want to see him in the mutton bustin' next year. . . I think -- yikes, what if he falls off?!?

    Congrats on all your ribbons, Dana! I'm glad you entered all your items!

    Love the pictures and the stories.

    Georgann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your ribbons....you do all the work, so no money sharing here. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete