Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Day I've Been Dreading

Today was the day I've been dreading for 10 months. 10months!!! Today was the day we took Cole's pacifier away. I have honestly, not exaggerating, been dreading it since Julie and Anthony took Elsy's pacifier away a few months before her second birthday.

I had a constant running clock in my head. "Ok, he's 18 months, we still have 6 more with the pacifier...Ok, he's 22 months, still 2 more months...Ok, he's 23 months...who cares how long he has it? He only has it to sleep. I'm going to let him keep it for as long as he wants. What's the big deal? Lots of other people do it." I totally started justifying NOT taking it away. 

I was so dreading it. So scared. 

But, I happened to mention it to the pediatrician at his well-check this week and without hesitation he said take it away, cold turkey, he'll be difficult for 2 days and then he'll be done. This wasn't really news to me, but it was the push I needed to move forward. 

So, this morning we started talking to Cole about giving his pacifiers to baby Corbin and he was really excited. He even asked to go. We made the trip to his house and made the drop. Cole loved putting the pacifiers in Corbin's mouth and Corbin (and Meghann) were gracious recipients. 


And the verdict: awesome!! He asked for his pacifiers at nap and bed but smiled as we talked about how we gave them to Corbin and how happy that made him. He loves helping the babies. 

He cried for minimal amounts to go to sleep but then whimpered some as he laid there before he fell asleep. That was probably the hardest part for me. He took a good long nap and I'm hoping for the same for this first night. 

So, it's been like so many things with baby care - the anticipation is 10 times worse than the actual event. Those babies are so resilient. It's the mama that's so stuck in her ways and routine. Wonder if I'll ever learn my lesson...

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad it is going well. You are so good Dana and have a great little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried as I read this post. Then I asked myself why I was crying. Maybe because Cole is growing up and doing it so well. Or maybe it was your use of the word "whimpered" and what that conjured up in my head. Then I thought about what good parents you and Marc are, as well as Julie and Anthony. You all are a blessing to your kids and to me.

    ReplyDelete