Saturday, February 14, 2015

Have you Checked?

Every single year I am surprised by new growth in my flower bed come spring. I'm never expecting it as early as it comes. It's SUCH a fun surprise!

With all the warm weather we've been having, I decided to just check and see if anything was coming up and, much to my surprise, a few of my flowers were beginning to emerge!

My hyacinths


The little crocus 


Daffodils


And...oh I forgot the name for this succulent Charlotte gave me


We are expecting super cold temperatures tonight and in the next few days. Maybe even snow. Cole and I went out and covered these precious plants in hopes of saving them for some spring blooms. 

Have you checked your garden?

(In related news: the wheat around here is experiencing some of the same growth. This warm weather has brought it out of its winter dormancy and it's started to grow. But as I've heard, "we've still got a lot of winter left", which could possibly be detrimental to the wheat if it gets too big and then gets a hard frost or freeze - if I'm gathering all this correctly from Marc's conversations. But, like marc says, wheat is a miracle crop and can produce even under the most dire circumstances. Time will tell...)



1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy seeing the first signs of spring. And I can tell you do too. A couple weeks ago I noticed one of my mums had greenery. Exciting! Your added comment about the wheat isn't something we city folks give much, if any, thought. I value the wisdom from my favorite crop consultant - that wheat is a miracle crop! Very encouraging. Love you kids!

    ReplyDelete