Sunday, January 24, 2016

Gym Time Fun Time

This past Wednesday I started a structured kiddie gym time at the rec center for moms and toddlers. It was a lot of fun! I kind of felt like I was in my element. I am going to try to meet every Wednesday for the duration of the winter. 

I liked it for lots of reasons. I got to use my teaching and planning skills. It was great to be with the other moms and the other kids (for the most part*). It got us out of the house and moving around on these cold winter days. And it gave me a chance to serve the other moms and kids and provide a point of connection for all of us, which, we found out, we desperately needed. 

I'm not really sure what first got me thinking to do this. I like the play group at the library and could never plan the activities like they do, but I thought I COULD plan an active play time - with songs and games and stories. And then one day Cole and I were at the rec center gym all by ourselves and the ideas started rolling. I kept track of everything that came to mind on a list on my phone and realized I had a lot I could pick from.  



I contacted a few girls to see if they'd be interested and they were! And then I tried to think of every single mom I knew that stayed home. I texted them all and they were all excited about the prospect. We had 5 moms and their kids this first time - but maybe 9 moms altogether potentially.  

I told myself to keep it simple and do familiar things - not spend a lot of time googling and looking for obscure new activities to do or trying too hard to stick with a theme, and that seemed to be well received. 

Here was my plan:


I planned for 30 minutes and told everyone they could stick around after, if they wanted - and they did! We aren't all friends and there was a lot of kind of "keeping to themselves and their kids", but I envision that changing as we have more time with each other. 




Lots of playing and interacting going on with moms and kids, with a little "mom talk" thrown in there on the side. 

I'm so glad I did it. I won't do it forever but it'll be fun for a bit!

*The hardest part was dealing with Cole's aggressive behavior towards some of the kids. I feel like we have been working on this forever! I had some major breakthroughs as I spent some concentrated time in prayer after some difficult times this past week. God is working on me and my insecurities and weaknesses as I try to gently correct and guide Cole (and failing sometimes too). So tough!

3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool, Dana! You talked about this when you were in here and I thought it was such a great idea. Proud of you for making it happen. Was Hope there to play, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you get other people involved. You are doing great with Cole, just be consistent....I know its hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, mom, Hope got to come play too. She stayed in her car seat and watched all the goings on contentedly for a while. There are a few little girks that just love her so I let their mom hold her for a while and let the little girls take care of her. Cute! Dana

    ReplyDelete